[SML] stage guns

Alf Sauve' alf at sauve.org
Sat Aug 15 15:52:41 UTC 2015

There's a lot more to movie guns than just putting in reduced charge
blanks. In fact that's exactly what they don't do.  A whole industry was
created to make guns function safely for movies.

The leader in movie weaponry is ISS.

http://issprops.com/weapons

They may start with a real gun, but they will totally change the inside.
  Some work off of CO2 or other compressed gas.

Besides making them safe from a "projectile" standpoint, they also make
them safe from a hearing standpoint.  The Bang is added in post
production.   But at the same time, the guns have to look and act like
the real thing.   Actors may be trained to fake the recoil, since most
of their guns will have much lower recoil than in real life.  Look at
ISS's NON GUN  guns.

I think Gun Stories or Shooting Gallery (Outdoor Channel) did a whole
episode on ISS.  Fascinating stuff.  I believe, if I remember correctly,
they showed how they designed Hans Solo's gun in that episode.

Alf