[SML] Jigsaw recommendations... methods as well....

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Sat Aug 29 18:21:15 UTC 2015

Greetings all... query to the masses: any recommendations for a jigsaw?
Here's what I've got:

Some time ago, a really great Makita was donated to me from a TV/film shop,
and it's really my favorite - it's somewhat compact, smooth, generally
awesome, except it uses a u-shank style blade, but a u-shank with a hole in
it, for an index pin for the blade to secure to.  Love that, but can't find
blades for it. (Regular u-shank blades won't stay in it.)

Have a very good quality, NEW DeWalt jigsaw, but it's a bit heavy, and the
worst thing about it is the trigger: it's EXTREMELY sensitive. Practically
breathe on it, and the blade is off to the races. Just trying to carry it
and manipulate it, while lining up the blade, etc the blade goes. It's a
very unpopular jigsaw with my students, as you can guess. :)

So.... a good quality, not-too-sensitive, not-too-heavy jiggy out there?
(Thanks for not recommending Skil/Black n Decker - I've gone through many
of those cheap things, and they throw blades, shake like crazy, make crappy
cuts, etc.... I want a good one.)

As for the method question: have lots of fancy-cutting to do on large
panels - something a CNC would do a great job with, but not having one of
those, it's back to cutting the scrolly things by hand (think Victorian
trim).  1/4" material... "back in the day," those heavy, expensive
"Cut-Awls" were designed for such a thing.... any suggestions on tools to
use today?  I dislike Roto-Zip and its ilk, as they have a mind of their
own, and the bits burn up too quickly.  (Really best to leave those to
cutting drywall circles.)  Looking for methods for cutting scrollies and
such with some ease, but it will be big sheets, not small things for a
bandsaw or scrollsaw....

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com