[SML] swimming pool onstage

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 03:42:20 UTC 2015

As has been said, if your stage can't tolerate a fully-staged Aida,
complete with 12 Elephants traipsing across it to the tune of Triumphal
March leading a good-sized menagerie, with 200 spear carriers and Nubian
slaves, rethink the pool.
/s/ Richard

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Stuart Wheaton via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> On 12/9/2015 2:50 PM, Paul Bradley via Stagecraft wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone, I am currently working on a production that requires a
>> swimming pool onstage.  I have never done something like this and a lot
>> of my regular shops are currently too busy or don't have the
>> capability.  So we are looking for a new shop in the NYC area that might
>> be able to help out with this project.
>> Does anyone have any suggestion on who to reach out to with theatrical
>> pool experience in the area?
>>
>> thank you,
>>
>> Paul Bradley
>> Technical Director
>> New York Theatre Workshop
>>

> The water alone will weigh 64 lbs / cu ft.  that's before you put any
> structure around it.
>
> Also, the pool will leak, and the actors will splash.  Design containment
> in rings around the pool, either to catch the water and hold it, to pump it
> to a drain, or to channel it toward a safe discharge point.  Put water
> detectors around / under the pool to tell you if you get a leak, maybe
> hooked up to the building alarm system?  Check with your insurer too.  Be
> sure to secure the theatre when not in use to avoid midnight swimmers.
>
> look at what is under the stage and under the pool, maybe move that
> $80,000 grand piano out of the pit for that show?
>
> Who cares if the show is equity or not, heat the damn water.  if you
> wouldn't be happy in the pool, you shouldn't put an actor in it.
>
> Lots of fluffy dry towels, and a heated area for actors if they spend time
> backstage in wet clothing/suits.
>
> Leviton makes a GFCI that works on dimmed circuits.  Use low voltage LED
> stuff where possibly near the pool itself.  Be very careful about grounding
> / cabling / etc.
>
> Stuart

/s/ Richard
_________