[SML] Swimming Pool onstage

Jonathan Deull jdeull at clarktransfer.com
Thu Dec 10 20:16:24 UTC 2015

There have been many discussions of this on this list ‹ usually related to
productions of Mary Zimmerman¹s Metamorphoses. When I did this show in
2008 we built a pool keeping in mind many of the principles already
mentioned in this thread: load-bearing capacity of building structure,
protection against leaks and splashes, use of a custom liner, heat,
filtration, and disinfection, ambient and water temperature and performer
comfort, and liberal amounts of stagecraft magic and acting to sell the
illusion. Happy to discuss the specific solutions we used, but the bottom
line is that, while it may not be possible or appropriate to make it work
everywhere, it actually isn¹t rocket science and doesn¹t necessarily
require a bottomless budget.

Jonathan