[SML] Stapling Lauan

Paul G. pguncheon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 23:31:58 UTC 2015

Wow... What are they doing with the flats on stage? Hint: Do not use them to enclose rhinoceroses (or rhinoceros for that matter).

I have built literally thousands of square feet of flats and have never had to repair any "after every performance". Methinks somebody is doing something wrong.

Here's how I build glued flats:

Usually I don't glue flats for stage unless the scenery has to move, be suspended, or travel to different venues. One can reuse lumber if it has not been glued. In production for film, you glue everything that can benefit from being glued.

Assemble the frame, do not use glue. It's a waste of time... and glue (even for production.) I have had entirely too long discussions about this but I stand by my statement. Glue does not adhere worth spit to short grain in lumber.

Apply glue to the edge of the frame. Spread the glue with a brush to cover the entire face of the edge. Lay the lauan on the frame and staple the shortest edge, flushing the lauan to the frame. (Adjust the air pressure to your staple gun so the fired staple sits just below the surface of the lauan. If the staple goes deeper than that It'll compromise the integrity of the material and the staple will pull through. I use 3/4" or 1" 1/4" crown staples.) Next staple one of the long edges, pulling the frame into shape as you go along. Finish stapling the perimeter, the shoot the field. I use one staple about every 5 a 6 inches. Wipe off any glue mess with a damp cloth.

That is essentially it. To dispose of these flats, I usually have to either cut the flats apart with the moral equivalent of a chainsaw or blast them apart with a sledgehammer. Their inherent strength saved a neophyte actor from serious injury in one show but that's a story for another day.

Laters,

Paul 1

Sent from my iPad