[SML] Rope Safety

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 2 23:36:42 UTC 2015

Very sound advice. Nylon rope is immensely elastic, elongating by
about 25% before fracture. It is also somewhat slippery on its
surface, making it difficult to get a good grip. This is probably why
some foolish competitors take a turn round their hands. It certainly
needs special knots.

25% elongation also means that there is an awful lot of energy stored.
This can have disastrous consequences when sudenly released.

Old-fashioned hemp of about 2" diameter is best. I think that there
are some synthetic ropes that have the right properties, but I don't
know which ones.

On 31 January 2015 at 19:12, Steven Santos via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Or just don't use a nylon rope...
> ---
> Steven Santos
> Director
> Simply Circus, Inc.
> 86 Los Angeles Street
> Newton, MA 02458
>
> P: 617-527-0667
> F: 617-934-1870
> E: Steven at SimplyCircus.com
>

> On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 12:27 AM, Ray Gibson via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> I'm never playing tug of war again... Or, I'm at least going to stand behind
>> as many people as possible. And wear body armor.
>>
>> Ray
>>
>> On Jan 30, 2015 9:44 AM, "Glenn Hoit via Stagecraft"
>> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> That was a fun, and interesting read.....thanks.
>>>
>>> ..glenn

Frank Wood