[SML] Mac-based Lighting Control software: thoughts?

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Wed Feb 11 14:52:45 UTC 2015

smashwolf wrote:

> Your description of needs fits the description of MagiQ by ChamSys.
>
> https://secure.chamsys.co.uk/magicq
>
> What you get is a COMPLETE, and I mean COMPLETE intelligent lighting
> system right out of the box that includes all manner of intelligent fixture
> controls, and even pixel mapping and stage rasterization!
>
> It also has a WYSYWIG like 3D rendering engine that will allow you to
> patch fixtures to 3D model components and animate your show.

MagicQ looks like a good free program - if you are using intelligent lighting. I had looked into it some time ago, and found it to be too complicated and over-kill for handling a small number of conventionals.
Whilst I could be mistaken, Jon’s needs fall more in the latter category:

> Jon Ares wrote:
>> Free is great... low-price is good, too.... but simple/easy is
>> important. The purpose of this is to teach/explore the basics of the
>> lights, dimmers, DMX, etc, not days/weeks of learning the software.
>> Thoughts?

	For a simple light lab / to teach the basics of lights & dimmers (intro to lighting 101?,) I still think MiniStageConsole would be a better fit. Having other options (Arrows in his quiver) is not a bad thing, though.

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.