[SML] Computing a lighting load

PATRICK MCCREARY VZE2GMHT at verizon.net
Wed Feb 11 17:22:54 UTC 2015

I have always used a 50% assumption. Then divide by 3, assuming you're
using a 3-phase 5-wire feeder. Then assume you want a somewhat standard
size - in your case, 600A 3-phase. We have a 300A 3-phase for 176 2.4K
dimmers, and have never even come close. I'm not sure I would have room
to hang enough fixtures to load the system fully.

Patrick

On 2/11/2015 12:06 PM, Dougherty, Jim via Stagecraft wrote:
> When looking at a lighting system (particularly in the context of a
> new or replacement installation), is there a formula used to calculate
> a systems lighting load?  For example, assume an installation has 200
> 2.4K dimmers. To size the service at 4000A to handle the load if the
> system were to be run entirely at full is ridiculous.  How is it,
> then, designed/specified?  Based on a percentage of that maximum?
>  Taking into account a typical or perhaps maximum instrument count
> from past shows, and applying a formula to that number based on the
> assumption that no plot’s lights are all on at once?  Darts and a
> Square D catalog?
>
> Ideally I’m looking for a reference based on manufacturer’s
> requirements, NEC, industry standard, etc.  Rule of thumb is
> definitely welcome but not as helpful in this context.  I find it
> interesting that the load will presumably be diminishing over time as
> our industry gradually shifts to a greater reliance on LED and other
> lower-load fixtures.  Our own system will be a mix of conventional and
> LED for a long time to come.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Jim Dougherty
> ATD, Middlebury College Theatre Dept.