[SML] Printer Recommendation

Mick Alderson alderson at uwosh.edu
Thu Feb 19 21:17:55 UTC 2015

Steve asked:

> Seeking advice concerning a new printer for my wife's use with her PC.
> This does not have to be real high end gear. 8.5 x 11 paper feed,
> envelope capability, color printing needed, photo printing not a high
> priority. Under $100.00 would be nice. It does not need to photocopy,
> fax, be wireless.  Operation by a Luddite is probable.

I got an HP Envy 4500 from Best Buys for about $70 that plays nice with my Macbook Pro, Win 7 netbook, two Puppy Linux laptops, and my Android devices. It connects via USB cable or wifi. Installation was fairly straight forward on all platforms, and quality is OK.  It is an all-in-one, but practically every inkjet seems to be these days. I've only had it a month, but every HP I had in the past gave me my money's worth. Cost-per-page for ink from any manufacturer seems to be inversely proportional to initial cost of the printer. They make up the low price on the front end with limited ink cartridge life. More efficient printers (a relative term) cost more.

Mick Alderson
TD Fredric March Theatre
alderson at uwosh.edu