[SML] Projector dowser redux

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Mon Feb 23 16:26:35 UTC 2015

I felt this was a (perhaps long-ago) recurring thread, but my GMail
search isn't really showing me much in the way of SML discussions of
projector black-out solutions (save a recent discussion about masking
off partial portions of the beam)....

I'm in need of a flapper/dowser/douser/shutter.... and I'm much too
poor to buy a $500 City Theatrical gizmo.  I would love DMX control,
but at this point, I'll be happy with momentary switch action.

Looking around online for the CD-Tray-Slider gizmo isn't turning up
much in the way of practical info... I found Pat Immel's 2007 Tech
Expo PDF, but I tore open 2 CD units (a Pioneer and a Sony) and
neither are geared up like the well-explained diagram in said Tech
Brief. ControlBooth has had lots of discussions (about 5-10 years ago)
- but when provided with a link, it's now dead.

If I had experience in servos and such, I'd attempt to build a
purpose-built device, but I'm running out of time... does anyone have
other diagrams/solutions for the CD tray method? Or some other method?

4 or 5 years ago, I tried using DMX-controlled Source Four irises, but
they don't actually stop all the way down - there's always a hole...
like stopping a lens down to f/22.

Solutions/experiences?

--
Jon Ares