[SML] Genie lift safety

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 15:03:27 UTC 2015

On 2/23/15 9:28 PM, Kristi R-C via Stagecraft wrote:

> Some of the trusses on the Pony show followed a kind of C shape, thus
> the Genie movement wasn't straight across the stage. I was supposed to
> have a local crew of 6 on the Genie - one to watch each
> outrigger/caster, one pushing from behind and one pulling/steering using
> a handle designed for that purpose while looking up at me to keep from
> running me into obstacles. This was in an AWP-40. The number refers to
> the mast height. Most Genies are 26 or 30. Genies have "tilt" at height
> - the greater the height, the more tilt.

I have a AWP-40 that I'm responsible for on campus.  (campus safety
policy is that I have to be present when it is used.  It's tied to me,
not to my job title.)  I get the shakes going up in that normally, the
thought of moving while at height gives me the heebie-jeebies.

> Eventually, an edict came down from the safety officer at the GM company
> (a man whom I respect and who is making great strides in bring safer
> work practices to the road) that we were no longer permitted to move at
> height. It only added about 20% onto our focus time. I got good at
> looking up from each of the four corners to check clearance and allow
> for the tilt. There were times it took a couple of tries to get into the
> tighter spaces, but overall it wasn't a big deal.

Many moons ago, I zip-tied a laser pointer onto the rail of my Genie so
I could more easily line up my position.  Saved much more time than
you'd think a $5 keychain would.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall