[SML] Unistrut safety factor specs?

Brian Munroe brian at themunroes.com
Fri Feb 27 04:44:33 UTC 2015

Sort of. Safety factor, also known as design factor, is ultimate breaking strength divided by the working load limit. So if you need to lift a 500 pound load with a safety factor of 10 you need a piece of hardware with a ultimate breaking strength of 5,000#.

The missing piece of information that you need to know is what the manufactures safety factor is. Say, for example, a shackle manufacturer uses a safety factor of 5. Since you want a factor of 10, you need to reduce by half their load rating. In that instance you would need a shackle with a load rating of 1,000# (500# x 10 = 5,000 and 1,000# x 5 = 5,000). Not a shackle with a load rating of 5,000#

Brian Munroe

Sent from a rather small device with big fingers