[SML] Testing integrity of mic cables....

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 27 23:31:18 UTC 2015

Assuming that you are following the golden rule of fault testing,
which is to change only one thing at once, I suspect that you may have
a less than perfect connection somewhere. In what configuration are
you using these cables? Balanced-to-balanced, balanced to unbalanced,
or what? Are you using phantom power?

Any way up, I should beinclined to open up the connectors, and make a
visual inspection. If you have any doubt, re-terminate the connetors.

On 27 February 2015 at 19:29, Jon Ares via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> So, I know how to test for continuity.... and most XLR cable testers
> just do that, but I've got a couple of cables that test "fine," but
> sound nasty. After rotating out cables, I solved the problem, but I'm
> curious how to test better.
>
> The issue was sending a feed from our board to a video crew, and they
> were taking our feed into a poopy little Beringer mixer, and I really
> wanted to blame it on their mixer, but after rotating through cables,
> the buzz mostly went away... so I have 2 suspect cables that test for
> continuity just fine.
>
> --
> Jon Ares
> www.arescreative.com