[SML] Testing integrity of mic cables....

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Sat Feb 28 00:03:26 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 3:24 PM, Dan Sheehan via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> possible that cable checks out OK on the continuity test,
> but connector fails to make good contact to the equipment,
> seen this with old and/or cheap connectors (females get sloppy).
>
> also, Pin 1 should be cable shield  (or signal ground)  and should
> *not* connect to connector shell,
> continuity tester might not check for this and if there is a spurious
> shell connection (=equipment chassis)
> that could lead to a hum or buzz

Dan and Jason - I think you're both on to something... I opened up
both cables (one is clearly newer than the other) and both have
well-made, solid connections, with good solder points.  BUT - at least
with the older one, I would not be surprised if the female end is
getting 'sloppy' - that indeed could be a culprit. It was like the
good ol' 60-cycle hum, even though it was coming straight out of the
board's omni out (Yamaha LS9), and into the Beringer POS. The buzz
from the Beringer cleared up as soon as my cable was removed. (Both
these cables are also short - only about 20 feet or less, and not
macrame'd to any power cords.)

I should say that I no longer have an audio cable tester (XLR, etc) -
and am currently only able to test with a multimeter. Makes shaking
the plugs under test a challenge.  :) But I do wonder if the buzz is
at connectors, or perhaps separated shield.

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com