[SML] Mapping/Cropping projection to flats/other

smash smashwolf at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 03:50:50 UTC 2015

The best solution I have found is using video mapping software.  The
best bang for my buck so far has been a tool called "MadMapper" for
macintosh, and it's companion VeeJay software called "Modul8" made by
the same programmers.  In fact you get a decent discount if you buy them
together.  Both pieces of software take advantage of the "Syphon"
architecture which is only available on the Macintosh, which allows
multiple programs to manipulate the output of the GPU simultaneously.

So, you get Modul8 to handle multiple inputs.  On current/late model mac
pro with USB3, that can be up to 4 HD inputs via device like a
Blackmagic Design.   ... THEN...  MadMapper acts like a lens, shaping
the output to your one or many projectors.  On a late model Mac laptop,
you can get 2 HD projectors to run off each thunderbolt using a Zotac
2T-DP2HD in each.  Plus you have the HDMI output, so 5 HD projectors,
and still have your on-laptiop display as a control.

Now here's the cool part.  You can take your one or many inputs in
Modul8 and send them via syphon to one or many sources in MadMapper.
You just set your syphon to some obscenely big display size, and map the
input(s) on any combination of outputs in madMapper.

This link is to a video showing what i did mapping ore than 6 video
loops to different facets of walls fro a single off-axis desktop
projector using Syphonn for source controls, and playback, and MadMapper
for mapping and geometry alteration.
http://youtu.be/y3A5zlMfgnU
The projector was laying at a cockeyed angle on my balled up winter coat
on the table.  The mapping software allows me to correct each output
zone for any geometry flaw imaginable.  And I did this with a single
laptop, and projector.

-smash

--
Bryan Manternach, President, Smashwolf Productions & Studios
2883 Aiello Drive, Suite #3, San Jose, CA, 95111
408-363-8324, 408-209-3099 (mobile), smash at smashwolf.com