[SML] OT More background on the school Cultural Arts programming at your educational institution

John Lucs jlucs at peddie.org
Wed Jan 7 14:55:36 UTC 2015

I should have included that the school in located in NJ.  It is a college
prep boarding/day high school.  In house we are very busy with the
performing arts with 2 full production straight plays, 1 full Winter
musical, 1-9th grade junior musical (1 hr production), 1- honors theater
class black box production, 3 end of semester choral/ orchestra concerts 75
in chorus + 3 break groups within, 105 orchestra members with 6 breakout
groups within, and finally 3 visual arts end of semester gallery
exhibitions.  So in house you can see we are quite busy.

We used to bring thru 15 roadshows a year on top of all this that were open
to the public through subscription series and walk up tickets and were made
available free of charge to the school students and faculty.  We would be
lucky to have 10-12 people ever take advantage of it.  We reduced the
roadshows to 2-3 and made it only available in house only due mostly to the
2008 recession and opening ourselves up to liability with the public suing
us for every trip and fall and extra man power for maintenance and security
needed for these events.

So again looking for feedback from those in other educational institutions
on how you go about structuring and choosing outside productions for your
entire school population.
--

John E. Lucs
Technical Director, Theater