[SML] OT: Cultural Arts programming at your educational institution

June Abernathy JEA00321 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 00:40:08 UTC 2015

If I read your post correctly, it sounds like all of your programming is outside artists hired in? That's kind of amazing, and cool in it's way. That can be interesting, and inspiring, but students would probably be a lot more engaged by watching in house student performances by their peers than "good for you" work by unknown adults. It takes special performers to win over a teen audience.

Lacking that, or in addition to that, maybe try some performances that actually engage the audience and ask for their participation, either directly or via their technology, with things like electronic voting or question submissions, or request submissions, or inviting text commenting that shows up on video (you'd want some kind of sign in so comments would not be anonymous, and maybe some way to moderate commentary before it shows up, but it has worked for some rock and roll type shows).

I commend your desire to provide exposure to the arts and also try to teach them some semblance of decent audience manners. Good luck with that.

June Abernathy
IATSE #321 (Tampa, FL)
FOH Electrician
The Lion King National Tour