[SML] Laying a Masonite floor without using fasteners

Wayne Rasmussen rasmuw at blair.edu
Sat Jan 17 04:24:20 UTC 2015

We have to do this regularly in our studio theater, which has (blue) vinyl
tiles laid on top of concrete.  We use the Masonite over and over, laying
it in the winter for the first of two shows.  After the second show, in
the spring, we remove it for a summer camp that comes in and uses the
space as a gymnastics area.  The Masonite never leaves the building and is
stored in a pile on the floor of the shop.  I think a key is to acclimate
the material to the building temperature and humidity.  The Masonite, or
double-tempered hardboard more precisely, has been painted on one side
only.  I find that the darker brown the material is, the harder and more
resilient.  We use 1/8" hardboard and tape it down with black gaff--BMI
brand.  All edges are taped to the floor, except where each sequential
piece is butted to a previous piece.  Those at taped together on top of
the previous piece of tape.  We are unable to get the panels perfectly
tight to each other so there is a bit of a gap for expansion.

As a note, In our main theater, I followed Patrick McCreary's instructions
and painted both sides of 1/4" hardboard before nailing down in his
suggested pattern.  It has worked extremely well.

Wayne Rasmussen
Blair Academy