[SML] Tool box: what's in your kit

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Sat Jul 4 22:58:21 UTC 2015

On 7/4/2015 4:18 PM, Scott C. Parker via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hello All,
> I'm building some new pages for my HS Tech site to include suggested
> tools one should have in their own tool kits.
> I'm planning lists devoted to:
> Riggers, theater and/or arena.
> Electricians. From basic hanging lights up to serving as master elex.
> Carpenters.
> Welders.
> Sound A1 & A2
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Scott

Considering this is for high school tech website, just basic tools.

Base kit for everyone.

Sharpie marker
ink pen
pad of paper or a couple of blank 3x5 cards to write notes on.
Personal calendar for scheduling subsequent work calls.
some foam earplugs, and safety glasses.
Keep a couple bandaids in your wallet for minor wounds.
small pocket flashlight.

If you wear contact lenses, your backup glasses, container for contacts,
and whatever needed to put them back in after the call.
If there is electrical arc welding, contact lenses must be removed due
to the UV adhesion danger.

Not mandatory, but desirable.
work gloves
Safety toe footwear
any specific safety gear called for by the venue.
Seasonal appropriate foul weather gear
some backup snacks, such as PowerBars(tm) in case of meal failure,
especially if you have dietary restrictions.
a gig bag to carry all of the above, with a internal zippered
compartment for storing your cell phone when you are on the call.
A sanitary pad.  (for the men also, they make a fantastic trauma
dressing for major bleeding.)
The Pocket Reference book.  (the little blue book that remembers all the
tables of obscure engineering information that I have forgotten.)
A book to read for those unpredictable wait times that come up on calls.

For an electrician
adjustable wrench, preferably with a lanyard.
one of those eight in one screwdrivers with the different tips.
Non-contact AC power detector, AKA the I don't want to be electrocuted
stick.
Basic cheapie multimeter.  Can test continuity, AC and DC voltage up to
500 volts.
a roll of electrical tape.  (employer should provide more to replace
used up rolls)
Uglies pocket electrical book.