[SML] Tool box: what's in your kit

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Sun Jul 5 15:03:16 UTC 2015

On 7/5/2015 2:10 AM, sdwheaton at fuse.net wrote:

> [...]
I stand corrected.  Then I do wonder what other effect caused the guys I
treated with soft contact lenses adhered to their eyeballs.  They were
both standing firewatch for welders on the ship.  Neither had dark
goggles and both denied looking directly at the arc.

However, Canada OSHA says wearing contacts at work still not wise.
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/prevention/contact_len.html

And in the US, all I can find on the OSHA web site is a classic example
of circular bureaucratese.
"> If properly protected in accordance with the OSHA Standards
applicable to eye protection (ANSI Z87.1-1968) during the welding
operation the use of contact lenses is acceptable. The exception to this
would be where the welding process may produce gas or vapors that could
be harmful to employees wearing contact lenses.

Googling the ansi standard produced a confusing plethora of links to
safety eyewear vendors touting their own products.

--Dale