[SML] Power Quality Site Study in NYC

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Thu Jul 16 01:21:47 UTC 2015

On 7/15/2015 5:07 PM, Andy Lang via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hey, folks...do any of you have any recommendations for somebody in NYC
> who can do a power quality study?
>
> I've got an attraction that's been having some issues that may be
> related to the building power, so they're looking for somebody who can
> bring in a power quality analyzer and track things for 24-48 hours to
> see if there's anything unusual, short or long term, going on that could
> be causing some of the issues they're having.
>
> I'd love to hook them up with a fellow ETCP CEE if I can find somebody,
> but they also specifically want a licensed electrician who can fix any
> problems found with the building power.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Andy

When we had issues / questions about the power in our shop, the local
utility was happy to bring a data logger out and tied it into our power
for a week.  They didn't find any issues, but our problem continued
until a nearby plant closed and moved out.  So, they might be able to
help, or not, but I believe it was free.  Likely the power was inside
the range specs, but just barely, and the VFD on our Cold Saw was just a
touch too sensitive to odd currents.

Stuart