[SML] more theatre design thoughts...

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 16:38:15 UTC 2015

I did not mean to discredit and diminish the value of facilities older
than 20 years, but those designed and constructed between about WW II
and maybe 1975 or so are, on average, less good it seems to me. Grady
Gammage, Krannert, and others come to mind as possibly not favorites
for many.  I've seen some much older that I really like - The Rialto
in Joilet for instance - but hard to call it a favorite no mater how
spectacular it looks.  Shallow stages - by today's standards - rule
out a lot.

I sometimes envy the 1850 to 1900 "great era of theatre fires" -
credit that quote to Jack Bogan - when the average life of a theatre
was 5 years before it burned down.  (Would mean a lot more work too!)

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC