[SML] more theatre design thoughts...

Ray Gibson booray at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 10:49:20 UTC 2015

On Jul 25, 2015 8:15 PM, "June Abernathy via Stagecraft" <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> The Grady Gammage Auditorium, Tempe AZ - on everyone’s least favorite
venue list. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, who should have stuck to
houses. University venue. A testament to form over function. The building
is round, and from the air, resembles either a Wedding cake or toilet,
depending on who is doing the describing.

June,

I lived in the closest dorm to Grady Gammage 15 years ago in college. The
'birthday cake' is actually the music building across the parking lot. We
all referred to Gammage as a uterus, as the large ramps off to the side
were the fallopian tubes. But I think 'toilet' works too. I wasn't into
theater as much then, though saw the Cabaret tour there and really enjoyed
it, which I think helped influence my move into theater when electrical
engineering didn't really work out.

Ray