[SML] polystyrene decoration on fire again

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Mon Jul 27 03:08:29 UTC 2015

LIke it says on the t-shirt.
Nonflammable?
Challenge accepted.

ON a more serious note, these polystyrene trees were, I presume,
intended for more or less permanant installation outdoors by a pool on
the nevada desert.   I would presume that there was some sort of
protective and decorative coating to make them look more treelike and
less polystyrenelike.  I would hope that this coating had some strength
and fire retardant qualities, but I have no evidence of that.

Also, the video clips showed an awful lot of flame and smoke coming from
a relatively small area on fire.  Some of that would be from the dense
packing of these 'trees' to provide shade for the patrons in the area
providing a lot of fuel, and easy spread of fire once it got rolling.

   I'm curious how long the fire actually lasted.   I would expect the
polystyrene trees would have long been burned up by the time the fire
department got there, let alone schlepped all the gear up to the 14th
floor, got the pipes and hoses filled with water to actually go fight
the fire.  Were there other fuel sources, such as wooden or plastic
furnishings, or huts for a bar and so on?

    Fire dept spokesman said fire was fully extinguished after 30
minutes, which suggests to me that the intense phase of the fire was
well over by the time the FD got water on the flames, and they were
pretty much putting out any fires on slower burning wooden items and
structures, and drowning any embers.

   The article said rooms were damaged and the 14th and 15th floors were
closed, presumably any fire in them would have been controlled by the
sprinkler system.

ONe news article quoted a guest who had noted cigarette burn holes in
the roof of one of the cabanas the day before, and speculated that they
were from butts flicked down from the rooms above.

The article also mentioned the extensive decorative lighting as a
possible source of ignition.

Dale