[SML] more theatre design thoughts...

Paul Schreiner paulschreiner42 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 10:41:51 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Bill Conner via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> While I've had to deal with many odd school performance spaces, if the
>> space is sufficiently bad to detract from the students'
>> appreciation/interest in the arts, there are larger problems with the
>> program that cannot likely be addressed by a better/newer facility.
>>
>> --
>> [Greg Bennett]
>
> I have trouble imagining that a program change will overcome
> unintelligible speech, dry music, poor sight lines, and dim, flat
> visuals.  Students participating is a different issue but for the
> majority of students whose only exposure to live performing arts in a
> rural community, it seems pretty detrimental.
>
> At the end of the day, it's about performing artists telling a story
> through word, music, and movement to an audience and seeing and
> hearing are essential to that communication.  All the loading docks,
> wing space, systems and equipment, and so on can't counter a bad
> auditorium and stage relationship.

When I read Greg's post, I understood it to mean that if a school
district/institution had such a piss-poor space to begin with, then
there likely exists a fundamental lack of support for the arts in
general amongst the administration or board or population at large.
And *that* is a problem that no improvements to space are going to
fix.