[SML] polystyrene decoration on fire again

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Mon Jul 27 16:16:22 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Pat Kight via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> I vote for "differences across regions." Here in the PNW, which led the
> nation in banning smoking in public places - including many parks - smokers
> are pretty uniformly polite, if not downright paranoid. Many carry
> containers (empty Altoids tins work) to dispose of butts, or else carefully
> field strip them and dispose of the filters in waste receptacles. We know
> how to pace out the 20 feet we're required to stand from any public doorway.
> And I can't remember the last time I saw anyone toss a butt from a car
> window, especially in our current prolonged drought.

I think we must be in different states of "Oregon." :)  I'll confirm
your description is not the norm up north here. Butts everywhere....
lit cigs tossed out the windows (and I've witnessed the initial
flame-ups on the interstate median first-hand)... dumping their ashes
out the windows while driving, or at stoplights.  (Today's cars don't
come with ashtrays anymore, so there might be a correlation.) Not much
in the way of cigarette receptacles outside of buildings, around here.
(If you don't offer a receptacle, folks won't smoke, right?)   :)

 - Jon

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com