[SML] polystyrene decoration on fire again

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 27 17:50:34 UTC 2015

Things are much the same In the UK. However, there tend to be heavy
concentrations of butts outside bars which have not been able to
provide smoking areas and office doorways. Some, but by no means all
such premises provide ashtrays.

For myself, I smoke small cigars, which are wholly bio-degradable. I
wish I could say the same for tipped cigarettes.

Given the weather in the UK, the fire hazard is usually very slight

On 27 July 2015 at 17:05, Pat Kight via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Alex French via Stagecraft wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 12:34 AM, Chip Wood via Stagecraft
>> <stagecraft at theatrical.net <mailto:stagecraft at theatrical.net>> wrote:
>>  > Is it just me getting old or the lack of ashtrays in this "No Smoking"
>>  > inside era, but nobody seems to use ashtrays anymore?  Just flick it
>> and let
>>  > Mother Nature or someone else take care of it.
>>
>> I think it's just you.  Or differences across regions of the country, or
>> even specific cities and towns.
>

> I vote for "differences across regions." Here in the PNW, which led the
> nation in banning smoking in public places - including many parks - smokers
> are pretty uniformly polite, if not downright paranoid. Many carry
> containers (empty Altoids tins work) to dispose of butts, or else carefully
> field strip them and dispose of the filters in waste receptacles. We know

>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 12:34 AM, Chip Wood via Stagecraft
>> <stagecraft at theatrical.net <mailto:stagecraft at theatrical.net>> wrote:
>>  > Is it just me getting old or the lack of ashtrays in this "No Smoking"
>>  > inside era, but nobody seems to use ashtrays anymore?  Just flick it
>> and let
>>  > Mother Nature or someone else take care of it.
>>
>> I think it's just you.  Or differences across regions of the country, or
>> even specific cities and towns.
>

> I vote for "differences across regions." Here in the PNW, which led the
> nation in banning smoking in public places - including many parks - smokers
> are pretty uniformly polite, if not downright paranoid. Many carry
> containers (empty Altoids tins work) to dispose of butts, or else carefully
> field strip them and dispose of the filters in waste receptacles. We know
> how to pace out the 20 feet we're required to stand from any public doorway.
> And I can't remember the last time I saw anyone toss a butt from a car
> window, especially in our current prolonged drought.
>
> --
> Pat Kight
> kightp at peak.org

Frank Wood