[SML] "Out-3-5-7-Full "

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 1 22:18:19 UTC 2015

I don't know about anyone else, but when I am creating a 'look', I
waggle the faders around until I see the right picture. Then I record
it, either by writing the settings down on pieces of paper or by
pressing the record button. All the time I am looking at the stage.

There are two parts to the LD's job. First, to rig the right
luminaires in the right places,and second, to adjust their intensities
to give the right picture. The last includes colouring them up, as
needed.]
]
At the lighting rehearsal, the transitions between the pictures get
organised, and the operational script gets written. After that, it is
a matter of rehearsing the operator(s), depending on how manual the
operation is. To those who insist on every cue being called, I suggest
giving the SM a remote GO button, which takes one reaction time out of
the timing.

That said, I should still insist on having a capable operator at the
board, who can handle problems, when they arise. And they will.

On 1 June 2015 at 17:45, Richard Niederberg via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> The calibration was inexact on resistance dimmers. With saltwater dimmers,
> you could measure the specific gravity of the fluid and adjust the salt
> concentration, just as you'd use a hydrometer to test the fluid in a
> lead-acid battery.
> /s/ Richard
> _________
>
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Wild, Larry via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>>
>> Bill Conners wrote: "Some lighting designers never got past out-3-5-7-full
>> of piano boards and did fine in the computer console era."
>>

>> To make a slight correction to Bill's phrase: It should actually read
>> "Out-7-5-3-Full." Piano Boards were calibrated in levels of resistance, not
>> levels of light. It's one of the things you need to remember when trying to
>> recreate designs from the earlier era.
>>

>> Larry Wild,
>>
>> An old academic from South Dakota
>>

>> Bill Conner via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net>