[SML] Audio levels

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jun 3 20:27:35 UTC 2015

Stephen Litterst  wrote:

> Question for those of you in road houses or presenter situations:

Sounds like my former house.

> I just received a rider where they specify that "Sound control and level is at the Company's discretion, but every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate Presenter's request.”

	To insure the artistic integrity of their show, they don’t want some local yahoo of unknown talent - and not intimately knowing their show in any event - to decide how it should be mixed. Sounds like a logical expectation on their part. Protecting your equipment and the audience are logical expectations on your part. Negotiations insure that you both get what you want.

	You didn’t specify what type of show it is. A play, musical, dance show or concert. The only time such issues presented problems for me was in the case of rock concerts. (They didn’t use our sound equipment anyway, it was contracted out.) The battles came with overall volume - I set a firm 100db limit, but often their monitor mix alone topped that!

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.