[SML] High Output UV Sources?

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 17:20:30 UTC 2015

Dear Tom,
Idea (outside the box): start with some raw LEDs of the type that when the
coating is hit by their native blue coming off the 'anvil', fluoresce as
white, but you eliminate the coating or specify 'no coating'. This will
produce a powerful UV source, which is dangerous to look at, but works
great on sky-blue cycloramas, etc. What you MUST do, though, is to shield
the source from view, just as you would the laser source at a rock concert
or other event when audience members could try to look directly at the
laser beam source. If you start out with white light, and filter it, you
loose 90+ percent of the lumens, so starting with blue light is much more
efficient, with much less heat being produced and power being consumed.
"Don't try this at home" [Please insert Safety and Legal disclaimers here]
Commercial lighting manufacturers wisely do not market such a product, on
the advice of Counsel, due to Liability concerns. It works!
/s/ Richard
_________