[SML] C02 cannon operator error?

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Thu Jun 18 05:57:50 UTC 2015

On 6/18/2015 12:25 AM, Stephen Lee via Stagecraft wrote:
> So I watched this happen this weekend:
>
> https://youtu.be/UUP2iYBkQ2c
>
> (Please excuse the distorted sound; this was recorded right in front
> of the main subwoofer stack).
>
> I'm conflicted.
>
> On one hand, nothing really happened. No harm, no foul. The singer was
> a pro, laughed it off & kept going.
>
> On the other hand, this was at best, tacky. At worst, negligent.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Should the operator get a reprimand? Or worse? Would you feel
> comfortable hiring this person for one of your events

As Ricky Ricardo said,  "Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do".

Whoever called the cue, and whoever took the cue both share blame. and
it's pretty clear from the tape that the performer didn't jump onto the
Cannon just as it fired, he was standing there...  Also seemed to be at
a strange time in the song for that effect, or any effect, possible
equipment error?  Still should have a fail-safe of some sort, but that
is easy for the monday morning QB to see, maybe not obvious at the time
of setting up the gag.