[SML] wire colors

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jun 28 19:22:37 UTC 2015

Frank Wood wrote:

> All I know about US codes and practices has been gleaned from this
> list. I know that they tend to treat Neutral and ground with a
> disturbing degree of interchangeability, which would lead to the
> wholesale condemnation of whole installations by an UK inspector.

	No, Frank … Neutral and Ground are NEVER treated as “interchangeable.”  The neutral (White on this side of the pond) is bonded TO the ground at the entrance to the building, so it is sometime referred to as the groundED connector, whilst the Ground (carried on separate Green wires) is also known as the groundING connector. Note the ‘ed” and ‘ing’ suffixes, they make a big difference even though the terms are similar. Again, they are never interchangeable!

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.