[SML] wire colors

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 00:54:56 UTC 2015

Here is a marginally relevant incident: When the Shubert Theatre of Los
Angeles was built a long time ago with a Service Life of the entire
project, including the ABC network office building (both were 5 stories
over many floors of subterranean parking), planned to lease for 30 years,
and torn down promptly a few years ago, I was retained by the owners, ABC
and Alcoa (the Aluminum company) [Developers] to do a walk-through before
the final  payment was given the contractor. The job 'looked good'
mechanically on the surface, so I delved deeper. I tested a large Company
Switch to see if the grounding and phase marking was correct. I did not
discover any 'wild' phases, and didn't expect to. What I did find was that
the neutral was 'floating' ~60 volts above ground. I was able to
borrow a Mole-Richardson 10K 'Big Eye' Fresnel on a rolling stand from a
filming location close by and carted it over, hoping to test the service
under load and not just read a trickle voltage/current. The Service was
last grounded a mile south of the theatre in a vault that formally served
the 20th Century Fox backlot, that was being redeveloped as 'Century City'
which was the replacement land use with a hotel, a hospital, and many huge
office buildings, the Shubert, and many other commercial, retail, and
multifamily housing uses. There was no transformer vault on site. The power
was delivered by multiple strands of 2000 MCM THHN delivered underground!
Proper grounding was soon accomplished by bonding directly to a 60'+
long, 18"x71#/ft. I-beam driven in the ground through
the parking structure by a loud pile driver.
/s/ Richard

/s/ Richard
_________