[SML] wire colors

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 29 23:13:37 UTC 2015

Well, yes, we do. Curiously, our wiring rules and regulations have no
legal force whatever. That said, only a born bloody fool would ignore
them. But it does happen. I remember a case not long ago when running
the washing machine caused the stainless steel sink to become live. It
killed someone, and the installer was rightly prosecuted and gaoled.

Stupidity is a universal disease. Thankfully, it usually kills the
stupid person, which tends, slowly, to eliminate the gene which causes
it from the pool. Sometimes, though, it catches someone else.

On 29 June 2015 at 23:13, Bruce Purdy via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>  Lou Poppler  wrote:
>>
>> 2. "NEVER" interchangeable is the theory, and quite correct.  However,
>> in practice, you find places like a certain shiny new city convention
>> center where I once worked.  The first time a crew of IA electricians
>> did a trade show, we found that all the floor pockets had 4-pin
>> connectors for the 208-wye-120 and for the 480-wye-277 services.  The
>> building management's "electrical consultant" who was a retired
>> residential electrician, explained to us that "Ground and neutral are
>> the same thing" and thus he had specced the 4-wire services on
>> principle and to save money.
>
>         Just to be clear, Frank, the above does NOT mean that we in the US treat neutral and ground interchangeably. It means that there are idiots who may do so ... I'm sure you have dolts on your side of the pond as well. :-)
>
> Bruce
> -----
> Bruce Purdy
> Central New York Magic Theatre Co.