[SML] OT : Hanging Flat Screen TV

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Tue Jun 30 16:39:47 UTC 2015

Depending on how heavy the tv is, and how sturdy the wall boards are, you could just put screws into the wallboards, ignoring where the studs are.
Which kind of stud finder do you have?  The older style that detects ferrous objects by magnetism, or the newer style that detects density via measuring radiation reflection.
If the first, you are actually detecting the nails and screws in the walls, the other will scan for the mass of the stud.  Also sometimes you will find that interior non-structural walls can have the studs spaced out wider at 24 inches apart.  Depending on the miserlyness of the builder and what the inspector let them get away with, may be even wider.  Modify your search patterns with the stud finder accordingly.
Also if your wallboards are running vertically, they are nailed to cross pieces that run horizontally and put the actual studs an inch or so back from the back of the boards.  This will mess with your stud finder sensitivity.  Sort of how a sprung floor gets built.
Also you can use a strong light shining across the wall to find the nails in your wallboards, then deduce what the probable structure is underneath from that.
--Dale