[SML] Foam Fire Retardant

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Tue Mar 10 20:46:44 UTC 2015

I hope any AHJ that permits only one sheet of rigid polystyrene insulation
in a building never watches them under construction (presumably, if
encapsulating foam in flame retardant materials for scenic purposes isn¹t
sufficient then encapsulating it for general construction might also be in
question).  Okay, so that was somewhat trollish but that material is
everywhere in modern construction and doesn¹t spontaneously combust.  All
bets are off if it does catch fire - lots of nasty chemicals are released
as are many many BTU - but that¹s true for the couch the actors are
sitting on as well.

The paint that reacts to heat is called intumescent paint, if you¹re
looking for it - whether it¹s still at Home Despot or not I don¹t know.

- Jim Dougherty
ATD, Middlebury College Theatre Dept.