[SML] XLR mic cables: Pin 1 to case/ground... yes? no?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Wed Mar 11 00:04:29 UTC 2015

Hokay.... so I picked up a cable tester.... has your basic continuity
testing of XLR, TRS, RCA, 1/8", etc (but no Speakon) -and also has
test tone, and ability to show intermittent shorts.  So far, so good.
I've tested about 20 cables so far, and two show "grounded shield"
(pin 1 to shield, AND metal case) - and all the others do not. And
indeed, I can see almost none of them have soldered across the case,
and the pin one/shield. So the question is: do we not ground pin 1 to
the case now?  The two cables that indeed are grounded in this fashion
are pretty old-school - I can tell by the feel of the cable, and by
the connectors (tiny screws, rather than screw-together connectors).
The soldering is good inside these old cables, but indeed they jumped
together Pin 1 and the case. Right or wrong?

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com