[SML] XLR mic cables: Pin 1 to case/ground... yes? no?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Wed Mar 11 02:24:52 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Dale Farmer via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> The answer is, sometimes.    And it is a matter of tradeoffs. Generally, the
> higher end the system and users of the gear are, you will connect those
> shells. Mostly this is in recording studios. Expert audio folks will
> recognize the ground loop when it shows up and have the skills and tools to
> quickly solve the problem. Inexperienced folks will waste piles of time
> chasing the ground loops and often doing more damage and dangerous things
> such as breaking off the ground pins on power cords to 'solve' the problem.
<<snip>>

Great info, Dale. Thanks. Chasing this rabbit started a couple of
weeks ago (previous thread) when plugging my Yamaha digital board into
a crew's poopy little Behringer 4-channel POS, and they got gobs of
buzz.  Short cable - no daisy-chaining.... but two cables gave
big-time buzz, and one didn't give (as much). Both the ones that
buzzed badly pass all tests, except the chassis ground/pin 1 bridge.
Not sure about the one that was quieter though - I need to track that
particular cable down.

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com