[SML] DMX Troubleshooting

Ford Sellers fsellers at chauvetlighting.com
Tue Mar 17 17:57:54 UTC 2015

Steve,

One other thing to check....
It may be the DMX-OUT on the unit that is next to the end unit.  Did you try just swapping the position (or cable order) of the last 2 fixtures?

HTH,
-Ford
Dear hive-mind,

I ran into an unusual situation this weekend.  I moved three of my wash units from one electric to another.  In the new location, they had no DMX signal, despite everything being plugged in.

Going through them step by step, I discovered that it was the unit at the end of the chain that was the issue.  When it was plugged in to the DMX line, all the units lost their data signal.  When I would unplug it, the two upstream units regained their signal. I swapped out the cable, and had the same results. In the end, we swapped out the light with a spare. (I'm amazed I had a spare, to be honest)

Any thoughts on what might have changed inside the light? This is a a Coemar iWash Halo, not a common fixture and getting a bit long in the tooth. It's not worth spending a lot of money on, but neither do I have the money to replace all of them with something newer.

Thanks!

Steve L.
--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall