[SML] UIplighting floor

Scott Kearns Tusing scott at sktusing.com
Thu Mar 19 23:44:00 UTC 2015

Nathan,

We did this for our production of Hamlet in the fall.  We ended up using a
single run of the Supernight LED tape per row double backed on itself.  I
don't remember which one exactly, but can grab a part number tomorrow if
you'd like. We didn't use the "pixel" tape (pixel mapping this show would
have been a lot of fun!), I believe that would have multiplied the lighting
cost by 10 or so.

You don't want to be as close to the plexi as possible - you'll see the
source.  I think we were around 5-8" from the bottom of the plexi.

Here's a link to a photo that shows the deck fairly well:
http://tcharleserickson.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Hamlet-HSC-10-15-14/G0000Sq8odheOJ.Q/I0000v3IsaCFU964

Was it bright enough? Yes. Could it have been brighter? Of course! Was
everyone happy with the end result? Everyone was thrilled with how it
turned out.

Hope this helps.
Scott

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 4:18 PM, nathan best via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Oh great and powerful list,
>
> I've been thrown a design by a set designer who wants an disco style
> floor. Oh, and it's already built! :-) :-(
>
> It's 12" tall and framed out in 2x4's and topped with frosted plexi.
> Because of the construction, this only leaves me with 5" of space between
> the bottom of the 2x4 framing and the floor. My team suggested running LED
> rope light through the 2x4 framing to get it as close to the plexi as
> possible, but I've never used LED rope light before, and I'm concerned
> about the brightness being sufficient. It doesn't have to light the actors,
> but it just has to be obvious that the floor is lit. Any thoughts would
> help greatly.
>
> Thank you
>
> Nathan Best
> Performance Space Technician