[SML] Etymology of Passarale (Sp?)

Dorian Kelly illuminati500 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 14:03:38 UTC 2015

Could you mean Passarella?

That is the piece of the stage which is essentially a strengthened orchestra rail, allowing a performer in Variety shows or light opera to approach the audience.

<<By having a passarella built for the performance, Sher revived a feature of Italian theatre architecture. The passarella is a catwalk, extending from both ends of the stage over the orchestra pit and arching over the auditorium, allowing the action taken forward into an intimate closeness with the audience. A passarella was always the crowning finale of that very old Italian artform, the rivista, a lighthearted and often sleazy musical
farrago, when the stars and the chorus girls paraded up and down the passarella allowing patrons sitting in more expensive stalls a privileged view of what was hidden to the average theatregoer. I myself experienced the magic of the passarella in war-torn Italy, where in the wake of destruction the many rivista companies brought the first signs of life starting again.>>
http://www.musicalcriticism.com/opera/baden-barbiere-1008.shtml