[SML] The Worst People in Theatre

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 27 19:40:20 UTC 2015

Interesting list. Working as I do largely in amateur theatre, you
don't meet many of them. But the "Dictator Director" is not unknown.

As an LD, I have worked with many of our directors. Obviously, the
whole design team needs to be facing the same way, and a lot of
communication is needed, as a rule. Sometimes it doesn't quite work. I
have had briefings from directors which have ranged from 24 pages of
notes to the director coming up to me in the bar and saying: "You tell
me where you're going to shine the lights, and I'll tell the actors
where to stand". Both worked. Then I met a "Dictator".

To start, she insisted on communicationg vy e-mail, as I was in France
for the month before the get-in. However, I designed a rig that I
thought would work, and duly rigged it. She kept on trying to change
my detailed design, and suggesting what lanterns to put where, which
always gets up an LD's nose.

We work to a quite leisurely time-scale, but the Sunday afternoon and
evening before the opening night are always a full call, in costume
and make-up. She broke for AN HOUR AND A HALF in the middle of this,
to run a fights rehearsal. Full cast; full crew just sitting twiddling
their thumbs. I came very near to walking out on the show.

I was saved by being fired. After that rehearsal, she, our Head of
Lights, the Technical Direcor and I had a little meeting. I gave the
Head of Lights all my drawings and paperwork, and gratefully walked
away, just glad that I had been saved from the ultimate sin of walking
out.

I didn't even bother to go and see the show, whis was a dreadful
Jacobean Melodrama called "'Tis Pity she's a Whore".

On 27 March 2015 at 11:53, Jon Ares via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 11:59 PM, Jeffrey E. Salzberg via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> Ignoring, for now, the writer's unfortunate use of the term, "techie"....
>>
>> The Worst People in Theatre
>
> http://www.zazzle.com/techie_actie_dark_tee_shirts-235168933180188253
>

> --
> Jon Ares