[SML] NUC-date

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Fri May 1 06:36:44 UTC 2015

update on the NUC.

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (64 bit) on it from a flash drive, only
hitch was it wouldn't boot with the drive in the USB 3.0 socket but
would in one of the USB 2.0 sockets.

Ubuntu installed without questioning any of the peripherals, opened the
WiFi and downloaded updates as needed without a glitch.

I installed Gnome-Session-Flashback and so only had to deal with Unity
for a very short while.  This also installed without a hitch.

This thing is QUIET.  Also barely gets warm even after all the
installation time.  It says it has a fan running at 3000 rpm and I know
there's a spinning hard drive in there but it's a far cry from the
bucket of bolts drives I used to have.

I was able to crank the HDMI video up to resolutions I didn't know my TV
could handle.  I'm waiting for the HDMI to old video conversion box so I
can run it on my regular monitor.

The HDMI port on this is full size.

It came with power plugs for just about everything except Thrakkorzog's
Dimension 14B power outlets.

Downsides:  This model didn't play any music when I opened the box and
no free T-shirt.  :( :(  Also, the USB 3.0 port is on the front.  Since
I'll be using that for my second drive it should really be in the back.
Of course this is so tiny I'll probably mount it on the wall behind my
monitor and free up an entire shelf where the old web server is sitting.

Model #DN2820FYK, under $300 with 4GB RAM and 1TB hard drive
pre-installed and guaranteed.

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
Skype:  jerrydurand