[SML] Headset/headphone storage?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Thu May 7 01:58:33 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Richard John Archer <rja10 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> We had ones with no belt packs.   Whole unit built into the headset.  Worked great except you had to hit the ear muff for "push to talk"

I contemplated those, but was afraid we'd be getting back into the
"heavy on the head" thing again, and was worried that prolonged use
would be detrimental. I figured, at the low price of the lightweight
version of the headset, we could afford the risk of cord damage and
earpiece/mic damage. Plus, if the all-in-one headset had a problem,
then the whole thing goes away for repair.

Another "con" (or at least, a "get used to") with the EarTec belt
packs: mics are always open, unless you hit "mute." Then the mic
button turns red, meaning MUTE, not ON.  Hard to get used to that.
Also, if you go out of range with your mic off, when you get back into
range, your headset comes back to life, and your mic is open again.
Have had several awkward moments on comm when a tech returned from a
run to the out-of-range bathroom or dressing room.

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com