[SML] Fwd: DMX hardware

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Thu May 7 12:02:23 UTC 2015

Years ago I ran into a case one one voltage regulator/battery control
chip in a QFN package that had a bunch of identical failures of a short
of one pin to another.  After much gnashing of teeth it turns out the
wrong flux had been used on the board.  Instead of a no-clean flux, a
mildly active one had been used and even though the boards had been
cleaned enough flux soaked into the plastic part that it eventually
caused a short in the same place every time.

On 05/07/2015 04:52 AM, Dan Sheehan via Stagecraft wrote:
> another, less likely, is corrosion (sometimes called "purple plague" )
>  on the leadframe, inside the plastic DIP package;
>  this has sometimes been a problem when bromine compounds have been
>  added to the plastic to meet flame retardant specs

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
Skype:  jerrydurand