[SML] Automated linesets

Chad Croteau cpcroteau at bell.net
Thu May 28 11:44:55 UTC 2015

Hi Ben,

I'm probably one of the few naysayers you'll here on the subject of motorized line sets, however my experience with them was rather bad.

The venue I used to be TD at made the decision prior to my hiring to go with a vortek system during renovations.  This proved to be so expensive that a stage that should have had 36 line sets on 8" centres ended up having 10 line sets total.  In addition, the board made the decision to eliminate the grid during the same renos, because the consultant convinced them they would never need it with motorized line sets, as well as the I beam where head blocks would mount on traditional counterweight.  We were effectively crippled by these decisions.

I found there was no significant advantage in terms of cost savings for operator, and the cueing became more time consuming than with traditional counterweight.  There were also things these line sets just couldn't do, such as rocking a snow bag.

Others likely have other experiences, but I'd stay counterweight and add assist winches when necessary as you're currently doing if it were my venue.

Chad

Sent from my iPhone