[SML] Fake "Hare" for Stoppard's Arcadia

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Mon Nov 2 21:32:07 UTC 2015

Requisite counter point to Pat and John, with whom I actually agree
completely:

As a prop person I'll say that there are some shows that are practically
built around specific props, which are almost unavoidable; how many times
have people asked for the razor from _Sweeney Todd_, or the rear end of a
deer for _A Lie of the Mind_?  Let¹s say you dodge the hare in _Arcadia_,
there¹s still the tortoise, all the garden and fractal books, etc.  That
being said I appreciate playwrights who ask for something nigh on
impossible but leave enough room in their script for flexibility in
creating the prop, for acting to help out or to carry the load entirely.

- Jim Dougherty
ATD, Middlebury College Theatre Dept.