[SML] Student workers

Chip Wood chip.a.wood at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 00:48:40 UTC 2015

It's a generation thing!  When my dad and mom allowed (required) me to
help them out when I was  6>18 I learned by doing at the knees of an
expert carpenter and housewife, but certainly nothing formal.  My 40yo
son came over last week and I had to help him do very simple carpenter
and mechanic chores ("Hey, dad what's the difference between a Visegrip
and a Crescent wrench") .  I realized in my chase for a PH.D and a
research job I never took the time to teach him and I wept in shame.
Suburban parents now have little time or inclination or actually reason
to teach their kids basic skills.

Chip 1