[SML] Student workers (was: Aggregrate hours for majors?)

Blackfaer blackfaer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 19:30:43 UTC 2015

So I am now on my third semester teaching high school students our craft, and one thing I have noticed is how many students want to skip the boring parts. Teaching students that part of the job is setting up chairs and platforms for the boring lecture is part of the job is important, more now with the generation of instant gratification than ever before. Most of my students are gung-ho to run a console but do t want to mop the stage. Lessons aren't always about skills, sometimes they are about attitude and expectations. For that reason I think practicum hours are undervalued teaching tools, not an excuse for labor savings.
-Mark Thomason