[SML] Aggregate hours for majors?

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 18:16:49 UTC 2015

I agree that the REQUIRED work should be tied to the show that the student
has a significant Acting, Design, Directing, Authorship or other 'above the
line' role in, The faculty have their jobs in the classroom, and can move
aside a bit to allow the students an opportunity to sink or swim (with
faculty advice for Human and Resource safety). When it comes to the 'above
the line' assignments, I found from the other theatrical employers that I
have talked to, it is more valuable if the Student has REALIZED productions
of their own design in their portfolios, showing that they can confront and
resolve a myriad of issues that come up during the realization of a show.
This does not mean that the educational institution has the resources to
fund an unlimited amount of shows. Far from it. I suggest that the person
'driving' the show come up with their own staffing, from among their
colleagues. ["I'll trade you your work on one costume piece for my show in
return for my work on one set piece on your show"]. No, the inmates will
not be soon running the asylum - quite the contrary- the student will learn
the value of networking and how to display their work under controlled
'safe' conditions. Participation in production is, in many case, a
co-curricular activity. Just as skydivers are advised to pack their own
parachutes, or have deep trust in whoever does it for them, there is
nothing wrong with asking a dancer to mop the stage that they are about to
perform 'on point' upon, in return for the prop person doing something
important to the production that the dancer would normally be responsible
for, directly or indirectly. (I once had to rebuild/relocate a wireless
microphone transmitter pocket into a tutu, and provide an attachment point
for the microphone element in ballet slippers, because the choreographer
wanted the sound of the footwork amplified. I assure you that the same job
for a tap dancer was much easier, but I learned something each time. Just
because there are a potential educational benefits to the student (ex; how
to program a moving lights) does not make it anything less than conscripted
labor the the school takes advantage of. There is limited educational value
in being forced to do the same task on the same show for many performances,
As for a work in the scene or costume shop, often a student will learn bad
habits or learn just enough to be dangerous.
/s/ Richard
_________

/s/ Richard
_________